Are you grieved with what’s going on in our world today? Do you struggle with how to put into words these overwhelming emotions you’re experiencing to our Heavenly Father?
As I write this, I think of the Ukraine people literally running for their lives to cross another country’s border. No food. No shelter. No clothing. Yet, they may find it difficult to express their feelings to God as their grief overwhelms them.
However, when words cannot describe our sorrow, the psalms are there to guide us.
The Book of Psalms is a perfect tool for how to pray to God, especially during times of sadness and sorrow. Keep in mind that chanting these words is not the answer, instead, use the psalms as a model to help us pray when our minds are struggling to make sense of our situation.
Here is a treasury of powerful Psalms to help you Pray for Peace during difficult times.
The Power of the Psalms to Give You Peace
Psalms is a beautiful collection of poetry and songs revealing God’s promises with praise and adoration of our Heavenly Father. David wrote many of them during a very difficult time in his life.
He was filled with grief and trouble, yet, he continued to praise God for the marvelous work in his life. Thus, we should model these same words to give us joy and peace when we or friends are in a painful period of life’s stressful situations.
The Psalms are powerful and can bring you a sense of peace when the world seems to be falling apart!
Psalms to Pray for Peace
This collection of prayers for peace has been penned during all sorts of troubles and circumstances. Life and death situations occurred yet, with God’s promises, the author knew where to gain peace.
If your nerves are shot or fear is creeping into your heart, do not be troubled.
Our peace letter from God is weaved throughout our most beloved psalms. It communicates how to be at peace in the midst of the storm. Like Jesus sleeping in a boat during a rough storm, we can be assured that no matter the situation around us, God’s got us!
Pray these Psalms for peace when you need a reminder that God’s got this!
- He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Psalm 46:10-11 NIV
- God is our refuge and strength,an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth gives way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Psalm 46:1-3 NIV
- Come and see what the Lord has done, the desolations he has brought on the earth. He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the shields[a] with fire. Psalm 46:8-9 NIV
Psalms for Peace of Mind
When we begin to experience any type of anxiety or fear, it can’t be controlled without the scriptures. God’s Word encourages us when we are low and brings peace back into our souls.
One of the best ways we can recover from these heavy burdens is by praying with a particular set of Psalms.
- I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6 I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side. Psalms 3:5-6 NIV
- Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure,because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful[a] one see decay. You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:9-11 NIV
- The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1 NIV
Psalms for Peace and Comfort
This collection of Psalms is inspired by God to show us that we are not alone. While a person can experience the depths of despair, these powerful psalms remind us we can still trust in God’s divine providence.
- God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1 NIV
- I lift up my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord,the Maker of heaven and earth. Psalm 121:1-2 NIV
- The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil,for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:1-4
Related: Praying the Psalms Against Anxiety
Psalms for Peace in the Family
There can be turmoil in any relationship and that doesn’t exclude families. Since we were born into a family and didn’t choose them, sometimes we struggle with our siblings, parents, or spouses.
If your family unit is not getting along, now is the time to pray the Psalms with scriptures as your guide below that will bring peace with all members of the family.
- How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity. Psalm 133:1 NIV
- Children are a heritage from the Lord,offspring a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. Psalm 127:3-5 NIV
- Praise the Lord. Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands. Their children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed. Psalm 112:1-2 NIV
Are you looking for some tools and tips to boost your prayer life? If so, be sure to visit our Prayer Resources Library where you’ll find everything you need to become a powerful prayer warrior!
Psalms Prayer for Peace
We can get overwhelmed with the constant negativity of bad news, so we need to reset our minds into positive thinking, or Biblical thinking. Sometimes we need to restrict time on social media or the TV and focus on the Word.
The Bible is the only REAL TRUTH in this world. It’s an unfailing, infallible reliable source that gives us wisdom and guidance.
As you review and meditate on these Psalms scriptures, be assured that you will find calmness, tranquility, and peace.
Dear Heavenly Father, Your Word is the Truth, the Light, and the Way. It’s the only words that will bring joy and peace to this world.
You are the only good and pleasant treasure we have on this earth. I’ve nothing to fear, you are beside me as I bask in the sun, cry in the rain, and stress in the storms.
Praise Your Name, You are the Mighty One, the One who blesses us with our salvation. I will walk in your guided paths as you lead me to beautiful pastures. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
There is power in praying the Psalms! Be sure to use these additional Psalm Prayers to address your current situation: