How can we, as a nation, pray for the homeless community?
No matter how someone comes to be homeless, they are vulnerable and most likely at their lowest point.
God calls us to care for the poor in spirit and I’m pretty sure someone who is without a place to call home is severely lacking spirit!
Keep reading to see the many ways we can pray over our homeless community to lift them up and ask God to guide them to a better place.
What Does God Say About the Homeless
God has a special place in His heart for those who are homeless and the poor.
He specifically tells us not to exploit widows or orphans. (Exodus 22:22-23).
He specifically tells us to share our blessings with the less fortunate. (Deuteronomy 15:11)
He specifically tells us to be kind to the poor. (Psalm 41:1)
Below, you can read all of the homeless scripture to further understand just what God expects from us in regard to the homeless in our communities.
The Bible is filled with scripture about how we are to treat and care for the homeless. He commands us to look after them, share our blessings with them, and pray for them!
- There will always be some in the land who are poor. That is why I am commanding you to share freely with the poor and other Israelites in the land. (Deuteronomy 15:11 NLT)
- You must not exploit a widow or an orphan. If you exploit them in any way and they cry out to me, then I will certainly hear their cry. (Exodus 22:22-23 NLT)
- When you harvest the crops of your land, do not harvest the grain along the edges of your fields, and do not pick up what the harvesters drop It is the same with your grape crop—do not strip every last bunch of grapes from the vines, and do not pick up the grapes that fall to the ground. Leave them for the poor and the foreigners living among you. I am the Lord your God. (Leviticus 19: 9-10 NLT)
- Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. (James 1:27 NLT)
- Oh, the joys of those who are kind to the poor! The Lord rescues them when they are in trouble. (Psalms 41:1)
- Their only suggestion was that we keep on helping the poor, which I have always been eager to do. (Galatians 2:10 NLT)
- Father to the fatherless, defender of widows, this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy. (Psalm 68: 5-6 NLT)
Are you looking for some tools and tips to boost your prayer life? If so, be sure to visit our Prayer Resources Library where you’ll find everything you need to become a powerful prayer warrior!
How Should We Pray for the Homeless
There are so many different ways that we can pray for the homeless community. Here are some prayer points to use when praying for them.
- We can pray for the homeless to find comfort.
- We can pray for the homeless to have hope (in Jesus).
- We can pray for the homeless to be healed.
- We can pray for homeless children.
- We can pray for homeless families.
- We can pray for the safety of homeless persons.
- We can pray for the homeless to find warmth during the cold seasons.
- We can pray for the homeless to find adequate shelter from the elements.
- We can pray for homeless veterans.
- We can pray for homeless animals.
Prayers to Pray for the Homeless and the Poor
The homeless community truly needs our prayers! Start by simply saying a small prayer for them daily. But also, take the time to pray multiple homeless prayers to cover them in every way!
Below you will find several different ways to pray for the homeless population across our nation and the world!
Prayer of Comfort for the Homeless
Life on the streets can be tough. But our God can give us the comfort we need to rest and be assured that everything is going to be ok.
Use the following example prayer of comfort for the homeless.
Heavenly Father, You are the God of comfort! I pray that you provide comfort to those who may be homeless today. Let them rest in your mighty arms and know you are with them. Amen.
Prayer for the Homeless to Have Hope
Hope is something that many in the homeless community may have lost.
It can seem like nothing will ever get better and no one cares about them.
Dear Father, So many homeless families may be in despair today without the hope for a better tomorrow. I pray they understand that their hope is found only in you and not in the world. Amen.
Prayer for the Homeless to Find Healing
Many people find themselves homeless as a result of past trauma (mental or physical). Some struggle with addiction and mental health issues.
But God is the God of healing and no wound is too big for Him to heal!
Father, I pray your healing power for the homeless today. Help them overcome their past wounds and find their strength in You and You alone. In Jesus Name, Amen.
Prayer for Homeless Children
Being homeless is hard for adults, but it takes an even bigger toll on children.
Homeless children have no one to look out for their safety and well-being.
They may also struggle with feelings of abandonment and that no one cares about them.
But our God is the Father to the Fatherless!
Father God, You are the Father to the Fatherless! Please watch over the homeless children fending for themselves today. I pray they find peace in knowing You and that because of You, they are never truly alone. Amen.
Prayer for Homeless Families
There are so many homeless families living on the streets and in their cars today.
It can be a hard pill to swallow for a parent to not be able to provide a safe home for their children.
Father, I pray for all the homeless families today. I pray for their situations to get better and for you to bless them with the things they need to survive and be safe while living on the streets. Amen.
Prayer for the Safety of the Homeless
Being homeless means living on the streets or even in a shelter where they are more vulnerable to being taken advantage of or being hurt.
We can pray Psalm 91 for the protection of the homeless to help keep them safe throughout the day and night.
Father, I pray for your mighty arms to keep them homeless safe from harm. Please help them remain alert to their surroundings so they aren’t attacked when they sleep. Amen.
Prayer for the Homeless in the Cold
Winter is the worst time for the homeless community. Living on the streets means being exposed to the elements without a place to seek shelter from the cold.
Father, on the nights, when it is below freezing temperatures, I pray you guide the homeless to shelters and other places where they can find warmth for the night. Amen.
Prayer for the Homeless to Find Shelter
In addition to the cold nights, the homeless must also struggle with heatwaves and rain.
The rain can cause flash flooding that can wash away homeless camps in an instant.
And in warmer climates, a heatwave can lead to conditions such as heat stroke and major sunburns.
Let us pray for the homeless to find shelter during these times.
Father, I pray for all of the homeless who may be facing serious weather events. I pray you guide them to adequate shelter from the elements so they can sleep safely. Amen.
Prayer for Homeless Veterans
So many veterans come home after service and end up homeless.
Many struggle with the effects of PTSD and other mental health issues as well as substance abuse.
Father God, our homeless veterans are owed such a huge debt of gratitude for their service. I pray you watch over them, especially the ones who find themselves homeless. Guide them and protect them and help them to know that you are always with them. Amen.
We can also pray against the loneliness and depression that often occur after leaving the service.
Prayer for Homeless Animals
Humans are the only ones who find themselves without a home!
Homeless animals – cats, dogs, and other animals, run the streets alone every day and night.
These poor animals are alone, fending for themselves, and are often scared of being attacked.
Father, please watch over all of the homeless animals tonight. I pray they find shelter from the elements to provide a safe refuge from anyone or anything wishing to do them harm. Help them to find a family to take them in as part of their family. Amen.
Our homeless community needs our prayers and, as Christians, we are called to look out for them.
It can be so easy to just walk by a homeless person without giving a second thought. Or even walking by them with thoughts of disappointment (or worse).
Instead, we should pray for them and ask God to restore them and guide them to a better place and find a more permanent place to call home.