Are you needing to pray your frustration away?
Frustration is the feeling of being upset or annoyed. It can be dealing with a broken dryer when laundry is piling up. Or, it can be a lazy coworker or teen with an attitude. Frustration can come from circumstances, people, or born from our own impatience with ourselves.
No matter how it comes, our response to frustration is simple – we should pray it away!
What Does the Bible Say About Dealing With Frustration
The Bible actually gives us very specific guidance and wisdom when it comes to how we deal with feelings of frustration.
The wisdom from Proverbs 17: 27 (NIV) tells us:
The one who has knowledge uses words with restraint, and whoever has understanding is even-tempered..
Knowledge and understanding in the Bible are attributes of one who knows God. If we are God’s children, He expects us to not sin in our frustration but to remain calm, controlled, and restrained.
God’s word speaks intentionally on how His people should deal with times of anger and annoyance. Let’s take a look at more scriptures from that Bible that you can turn to and pray to when you are frustrated.
Are you looking for some tools and tips to boost your prayer life? If so, be sure to visit our Prayer Resources Library where you’ll find everything you need to become a powerful prayer warrior!
Scripture for Frustration
This list of scripture for frustration is not exhaustive. However, these Bible verses give a good idea of what God has to say about frustration and anger and how it is harmful.
And, also, some of them point to behaviors such as humility, patience, love, peace, etc. that should be helpful to replace those feelings.
- A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1 (NIV)
- A person’s wisdom yields patience; it is to one’s glory to overlook an offense. Proverbs 19:11 (NIV)
- Fools give full vent to their rage, but the wise bring calm in the end. Proverbs 29:11 (NIV)
- Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2 (NIV)
- My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:19-20 (NIV)
- In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry. Ephesians 4:26 (NIV)
- Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:19-20 (NIV)
- Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-7 (NIV)
- I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (NIV)
- Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV)
Prayers for Frustration
One of the best things about our God is that He encourages us to come to Him in prayer anytime. In our scriptures we just read, we are told “come all who are weary and burdened” and to “cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.”
Let’s pray a simple prayer that will help us focus when we are frustrated.
Dear God, You know my frustrations. You know how I want to obey you and not sin by getting angry or losing control. Please help me now by taking my burdens and calming my heart.
Help me to focus on You and Your goodness. Give me your rest and peace. Grant me wisdom and understanding to deal with these frustrations with your gentleness and love. Amen.
Prayer to Overcome the Spirit of Frustration
The scriptures we looked at above encouraged us to humble ourselves before God and to have patience in order to overcome the spirit of frustration.
Humility comes when we admit that we have a problem that we need the Lord’s help with and the patience is a fruit of the Spirit.
Heavenly Father, I want to humbly admit that I struggle with the Spirit of frustration often. I don’t want to be characterized by anger because you word says “the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.”
Please help me through the power of the Holy Spirit to display patience and kindness in times of testing and temptation. I commit my ways to you and ask you to teach me how to overcome through Jesus. Amen.
Prayer for Frustration at Work
Unfortunately, dealing with people comes with an added layer of frustration. Clashing personalities, cultural or political differences, and differing values all can combine to put us at odds with others.
Compile on top of that the fact that lots of workplaces today are fast-paced and over-working their employees, you have several tensions in the workplace. Here is a prayer you can pray before work or when work gets overwhelming.
Lord, stress on the job is getting to me. Please give me patience when dealing with my boss and co-workers. Help me not to speak out of anger and not to react too quickly.
When trying situations come along, help me to rest in your peace and trust you to work all out for good. Help me to manage my time well, to focus on the most important things, and to honor you in all my work. Thank you for taking my burdens and give me this job. Amen.
You are never alone in your times of struggle with frustration. God is always with you. He cares for you and wants to be your help.
My hope is that these scriptures and prayers will encourage you to take your frustrations before Him and help to grow your dependence on the One who can deliver you. Blessings.
Arrica is a follower of Jesus, a church planting wife, and a homeschooling mom of 4. Her passion is discipling women, especially other moms. She writes at A Child Shall Lead Them and prays she can help other Mommas find joy in their motherhood while serving their Savior.